[FoRK] WiFi in the Sky Will Die..

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Feb 2 15:06:48 PST 2007

One of the stories I heard specifically pointed out that they were
comparing wired access with wireless where there was an access point
planned for Each Row! Probably something was lost in translation, but on
the face of it that is idiotic... With all of that signal bouncing off
the inside of the shell, you would hardly need more than one or two
access points for each large area, assuming that multipath isn't too
much of an issue.

There may be regulations somewhere or some other memos that have the
weight of regulations, but the FAR regs that I read make it pretty much
up to the company and pilot in command what they allow on a plane. I
know that if I'm Pilot in Command (PIC) I have the first and last word
about what electronics are used, and using a cell phone is fine when you
can get it to work.

All of the detailed statements that airlines say that you are "required
by law" to follow and mentions of "FAA regulations" come down to a
handful of requirements to brief passengers on their seatbelts, etc.,
and a catchall that passengers have to obey "required crew", which
includes flight attendants on a commercial flight of a certain size.
That's why it's a big deal to argue with a flight attendant (or pilot),
or me when I'm flying a Cessna.

sdw