[FoRK] Save your kid some grief: get another email account for the PSATs

Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> on Fri Feb 23 11:10:08 PST 2007

I don't know whether this will be relevant to many FoRK readers, but
here's a tip for those with kids approaching high school or college
age: if you take a standardized test like PSAT or SAT, and they ask
you for your email address, don't give them your main account unless
you like *lots* of email.

Yep, in this era of cutthroat competition for undergraduates, a good
score on the PSAT will result in many email messages, in addition to
the traditional deluge of paper mail.  And not just from second rank
schools trying to boost their application counts and cut their
admission rates -- a critical number for the US News and World Report
annual college issue.  Son #1 has received email and paper mail from
colleges like CalTech, Swarthmore, Cornell, and Brown.  He did well on
the test, but he's just a sophomore -- I assume the mail blizzard will
get more intense when he takes them "for real" next year, and will
reach epic proportions when he takes the ACT and SAT exams.

So, high school kids get ready: set up a separate email account or
automatic filtering if you think college messages can be distinguished
from regular ones.  And don't make the mistake my son nearly made:
don't give any college your IM name....

Ken Meltsner