[FoRK] But seriously... then there's Haskell.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sat Feb 24 17:18:19 PST 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 5:37 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:

> Tony Finch wrote on 2/24/2007 2:10 PM:
>> The Haskell corollary to Greenspun's 10th law: any sufficiently
>> type system includes an incomplete and twisted subset of Scheme.
>
> Meanwhile, back here in the real world, Python as main language and
> C for the stuff that needs to go fast is rapidly looking to be the
> new way to get shit done.

+1.

That's my regular gal and her loose, fast, dirty little friend we
sometimes get together with for threesomes.*  (Missing PyCon this
weekend due to a poorly-timed bout of flu, in fact...)

At least, for all the stuff I'm in charge of language choices for.
And that's the dev recipe for me, going forward, until it doesn't
work.  At Real Work these days, purely for legacy reasons, the hard
labor's done in C++ --- far too much of it --- and all the rest of
it's a mishmash of other stuff, including Perl, awk, and other random
things.  But the odd thing is that almost universally we at Work-work
agree with Beberg's recipe, above.

jb

* unless we wanna get all Webby, in which case --- just lately ---
we've found ourselves contemplating calling up her kinky Webmistress
friend, Ruby...  Good for tying up to the Rails, you know.  (Take it
to the chords...!)

PS - hey, I'm bringing sexy back!   (To programming language
comparisons, anyway. ;-)