[FoRK] Using TV airwaves for internet

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Sun Mar 18 13:21:24 PDT 2007

On 3/18/07, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/18/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > On 3/18/07, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Anybody know what the difference is between this spectrum and other
> > > portions?  Why head for the range normally used for audiovisual?
> >
> > Presumably because it is about to be vacated. The article mentions
> > slipping it in the currently unused spaces, but that will be all of it
> > by the time this is ready to go live.
>
> Provocative answer, Luis.

Didn't mean it to provocative; isn't the analog spectrum being freed
when the move to digital becomes mandatory in 2009?

Though yes, I do expect that in 10-20 years over the air broadcasts,
digital or otherwise, will likely be ~dead in favor of some flavor of
TV over IP. (It'll be a profitable dead man walking, like newspapers,
in less- 5 years or so.) I'd cancel my cable subscription in a
heartbeat if I could get my live HD sports fix some other way.

Relatedly, anyone here want a Joost invite? http://www.joost.com/ I
scored an account in the false belief that they had a Linux client, so
I have invites to give, but can't comment on the software/service.

Luis