[FoRK] Using TV airwaves for internet

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Sun Mar 18 14:52:05 PDT 2007

I have at least two Joost invites to give out myself.  I know Robin...

I had heard that the moisture in the air attenuated 2.4Ghz signals much
more than other frequencies and that is why it was used in most
microwaves (2450Mhz) and why it was one of the initial unlicensed
frequency ranges.  Apparently, that's not really true.  The Wikipedia
article on microwaves says that the true resonant frequency is in the
10's of Ghz.

I would have said that the television frequencies are likely to travel
further with less power than WiFi frequencies, but that doesn't seem to
be true.

This article seems to agree, and has interesting references to
superheated water exploding suddenly:
http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/microwave_ovens.html

sdw