[FoRK] any IM experts here

Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> on Wed Mar 28 21:30:07 PDT 2007

<caveat>
Not an expert -- based on my experience deploying Jabber-based servers
and clients a few years ago; I started writing a pure Web-based
client, but stopped when my company installed Windows Messenger.
</caveat>

Not long if you can get a Jabber/XMPP to AIM/MSN/YIM gateway.  Forever
if you can't.

This has been done several times, depending on your definition of Web
based IM client (DHTML/AJAX?  Flash?  Java?  Pure Web?)   If you
aren't allergic to open source, there are a number of good programs
and libraries to start with.  I'm not sure about the highly scalable
part since I tend to write server-side apps in Java, and you end up
with issues around threads and such if you do things in the most
obvious way.  There's an erlang Jabber server out there if you want an
example of the non-obvious way:

http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/

The part I'd worry about is interoperability: in the past, the blocker
has usually been the availability of an official or unofficial gateway
to the commercial services.  GTalk is pure Jabber/XMPP, I believe, so
isn't an issue.  I'm sure that I'm way out of date and Yahoo/AIM have
gone to an open service in the last few years, so they can't be a
problem these days...

Ken Meltsner