[FoRK] any IM experts here

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed Mar 28 22:19:24 PDT 2007

I assume that you mean something like Meebo, Kool-IM, etc.
http://wwwl.meebo.com/index-en.html
http://www.koolim.com

I've built mainly servers, and very specialized client code.  A few
years ago, I did build a web client using a frame that processed
streaming javascript.  It was kind of cool in that it allowed on-the-fly
translation in each direction (using public translation engines).

Given libraries that communicate to those services properly (is that war
finally over??), arrangements (if still needed) with services to allow
many connections and/or messages through a small number of IP addresses,
and a small set of features (not video, direct file transfer, etc.), it
shouldn't take more than a month of solid work by 1 or 2 developers to
get the main functionality done.  Another month or two would be needed
to get true scalability.  Polishing and extra features would follow.

For various reasons, I've been looking at what it would take to create a
complete, scalable search engine.  Not Google exactly, but something
more than a toy.  There's a lot available for the crawling, indexing,
and basic search functionality.  The search engine seems pretty straight
forward to scale also.

sdw