[FoRK] C++

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed Mar 28 22:29:48 PDT 2007

Are you now, or have you ever been a C++ guru?  ("I have no recollection
of that senator."  Err, today that was "congressman.")

I'm on a technology refresh and coding kick, annoyed that I let (without
realizing it) my C++ fade so much in the face of A) a lot of Java / C#
(and even Haskell), B) mostly paying attention to high-level concepts
like semantic web / RDF, AI, XML, GUIs, scalability, etc., and C) some
long periods of analysis / writing / auditing / etc. that starved me of
coding.

I'm curious how many other FoRKers are or were into C++.

In many ways, this is the best era for C++ as compilers actually
implement the language now, libraries and idioms have matured, and there
are actually books that concisely cover the concepts involved.  Some of
the things you can do with advanced libraries almost seems magical, and
it's  pretty much all at compile time.

Has anyone recently tried to combine gc (the non-VM garbage collector)
or another garbage collector with C++, Boost, etc.?
Has anyone implemented any interesting allocators and support libraries?