[FoRK] any IM experts here

Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> on Wed Mar 28 23:53:21 PDT 2007

Nutch + Carrot?  It's a nice combination since Nutch is a good
straightforward search engine and Carrot gives you spiffy clustering
capabilities.    Nutch is nearing its 1.0 release (0.9 is coming soon)
so it's probably almost ready for prime time.

http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/

http://project.carrot2.org/

If you don't like the indexing component (Lucene), you could probably
reuse the other parts of Nutch: the distributed store and the
map-reduce system (Hadoop), the crawler and filters, etc.

Of course, it's Java, which may trigger certain allergies.

[Experience is a year or two old, from another prototype effort/proof
of concept which went nowhere, although I did like the combination of
Davenport (a CIFS<->Web server) and Nutch.]

Ken "I've abandoned or failed to follow through on more ideas than
most people have had" Meltsner