[FoRK] the spammers are getting either much dumber or much smarter, either way I don't get it

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Fri Mar 30 05:54:32 PDT 2007

In the past 3-4 weeks, I'm getting blog spam which consists of a
name/email address pair in the appropriate blog fields, and in the
body:

<a></a>

That is it. No link, no text, no *nothing* except the paired/empty a tag.

I don't get it. Anyone have any clue what they are hoping to
accomplish here? They are succesfully getting past both akismet and
bad behavior, so I guess they've accomplished *something*, but at the
same time, I can't see any possible mechanism by which this could
drive traffic, link value, *anything* to anyone. But they aren't
completely insane... so what are they trying to accomplish?

Luis