[FoRK] the spammers are getting either much dumber or much smarter, either way I don't get it

Baron Earl <baron.earl at gmail.com> on Fri Mar 30 10:50:35 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> I can't see any possible mechanism by which this could
> drive traffic, link value, *anything* to anyone. But they aren't
> completely insane... so what are they trying to accomplish?

I'd guess that the person who ran the spambot isn't the person who
wrote the spambot, and the person who ran the spam bot didn't realize
that you have to configure it with the URL you wish to spam people
with before you press GO.

The fact that this means that it gets past spam filters may also say
something about the way that it replicates.