[FoRK] the spammers are getting either much dumber or much smarter, either way I don't get it

Gordon Mohr <gojomo at boxbe.com> on Fri Mar 30 11:30:13 PDT 2007

Luis Villa wrote:
> In the past 3-4 weeks, I'm getting blog spam which consists of a
> name/email address pair in the appropriate blog fields, and in the
> body:
>

> That is it. No link, no text, no *nothing* except the paired/empty a tag.
>
> I don't get it. Anyone have any clue what they are hoping to
> accomplish here? They are succesfully getting past both akismet and
> bad behavior, so I guess they've accomplished *something*, but at the
> same time, I can't see any possible mechanism by which this could
> drive traffic, link value, *anything* to anyone. But they aren't
> completely insane... so what are they trying to accomplish?

Theories:

(1) After making a number of such 'approved' posts, their
name/address/domain/IP/whatever obtains the ability (through acquired
reputation in something like akismet) to make substantive posts.

(2) They're just trying to 'spoil' the sending addresses for some reason.

- Gordon