[FoRK] Is the singularity now only 13 years distant?

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Fri Mar 30 11:30:53 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 05:36:14PM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:
> I remember the heady 90s. The internet was going to change everything,
> even my refridgerator. Nanotechnology was about to make clothes washers
> obsolete, and soon would cure cancer and heart disease.

We're working on it!  Mind, sometimes I suspect that "they" wouldn't let
such life-extending technologies out for general use by the hoi polloi.
(Shades of the 100-MPG carburetor enit?)

> And even those advances would be overshadowed by the singularity,
> which was destined to overtake us by no later than 2020. All the
> curves proved that.

I refer y'all to "The charge-up man" by Catherine H. Shaffer:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v444/n7119/full/444652a.html
(As a power EE I ask, what does Computronium run on, anyway?)

> Anyone want to forecast the next singularity?

I'll settle for the implosion of the Bush Administration, and a brace of
True Believers, ass-kissers, evil opportunists and Neocons being sucked
screaming into the resulting black hole.

--
Discussing plot ideas with a writer recently, the idea of a robot
civilisation accidentally releasing self-replicating biological nanotech