[FoRK] [Fwd: [tt] US Congress Says Nano is "Coming Sooner Than You Think, " Predicts Singularity]

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Mar 30 12:10:29 PDT 2007

  A friend of mine (Danila Medvedev) likes to point out--

  A lot of time, global sweeping changes happen, and, for all the
  praise from experts, the litany by and large hardly bats an eye,
  except perhaps to complain.

  (I'm using the language of Causal Layered Analysis:
  http://metafuture.org/Articles/CausalLayeredAnalysis.htm
  http://www.communitywiki.org/en/CausalLayeredAnalysis )

  For example, cell phones.
  Another example: Pay-at-the-pump gas stations.

  Both swept (at least the United States) in under 10 years,
  and yet received hardly any notice in popular press,
  except for an occasional complaint, here and there.  There
  was nothing, in big letters, proclaiming: "THE CELL PHONE
  HAS ARRIVED!"

  The more analytically oriented papers wrote things about
  "Wow, this is amazing, our society is changing," but the
  discourse in my mom and dad's paper was on the order of:
  "Could you turn your cell phone down? Thx."

  http://danila.spb.ru/papers/transhumanism/Danila%20TV2005.ppt