[FoRK] Is the singularity now only 13 years distant?

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Fri Mar 30 13:29:25 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 01:18:27PM -0700, Tom Higgins wrote:

> So basically your saying that your cant get james Burke to do a
> Connections 4 (Singularity or Bust) until its all in the past tense?

It's a sensible bound, derived from the work required to track
what human CNS infoprocessing does. It's probably much too high, but,
on the other hand, it takes even more to track the evolutionary
embodied optimization work (total Earth population times critter
lifetime in roughly 4 gigayears -- okay, you can do a shortcut by seeding
the initial pool with above process' results), so I can go peddle
my Avogadro number of switches just fine. But the molecular weight
of computronium is sure a bear. But the crystal habitus is so pretty!
Really brilliant stuff. Far more intelligence in the flask than
outside of it. Whee!

> First sensible thing I have heard come out of the Singists debate.

For some reason the shrill and the unreasonable get the more
aural estate, while the silent/sensible ones only get trampled.

> So get up and ramp the speed of change ever moreward and bring on the
> Tribulation...Apocalypse,...Singularity...that thingy of change thing.

Since that Singularity thing is quite likely to eat us alive, it's
just as well it eats our kids. They're more tasty, anyway.