[FoRK] Is the singularity now only 13 years distant?

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Fri Mar 30 13:32:42 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> People are irrational however.  It's easily possible now - only held
> back by intelligence and poor decisions.

Yeah, tell that to Galileo, he can rattle on all to well about the gap
between what CAN be understood and what WILL be accepted by the mass
lumpen. Sure it gets better with age but how many years did it take
for the "Church" to give it up on the Galileo thing? About 100 years
to begin to agree they might be wrong and 350 years to apologize.

Look around, we teeter on the blunt edges of global beliefs in
invisible boogey men and holy crusades . We can not even study stem
cells and their possibilities because Jesus told GW Bush and tons of
Americans it is ethically wrong. We can not even  move on better fuel
usage thanks to our tendency to be led by power structures and flashy
marketing,

Sure we may gain the knowing to control all manner of things even to
the point of masking the  meat sacks that are behind it, thing is
without the wisdom what we probably will get are better ways to
coalesce power into the hands of a few (more so than now) or to be
very flashy tools for the deists to make a fucking hell of things (
more so than now)

If you think in the next 13 years the mindset of the globe will change
from this course I think you too are just a wafer short of a communion
ritual.

Please please please make it  be that I am wrong, I would like nothing
better. Im not betting the farm on it though.

-tomhiggins