[FoRK] Is the singularity now only 13 years distant?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Mar 30 13:55:45 PDT 2007

Tom Higgins wrote:
> On 3/30/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> People are irrational however.  It's easily possible now - only held
>> back by intelligence and poor decisions.
>
> Yeah, tell that to Galileo, he can rattle on all to well about the gap
> between what CAN be understood and what WILL be accepted by the mass
> lumpen. Sure it gets better with age but how many years did it take
> for the "Church" to give it up on the Galileo thing? About 100 years
> to begin to agree they might be wrong and 350 years to apologize.
>
> Look around, we teeter on the blunt edges of global beliefs in
> invisible boogey men and holy crusades . We can not even study stem
> cells and their possibilities because Jesus told GW Bush and tons of
> Americans it is ethically wrong. We can not even  move on better fuel
> usage thanks to our tendency to be led by power structures and flashy
> marketing,
>
> Sure we may gain the knowing to control all manner of things even to
> the point of masking the  meat sacks that are behind it, thing is
> without the wisdom what we probably will get are better ways to
> coalesce power into the hands of a few (more so than now) or to be
> very flashy tools for the deists to make a fucking hell of things (
> more so than now)
Um... theists is what you really mean.  Deists are pretty harmless by
comparison.

> If you think in the next 13 years the mindset of the globe will change
> from this course I think you too are just a wafer short of a communion
> ritual.
The last 15 years have been amazingly good.  I'm hopeful that the next
45 will just pick up steam.  Here's hoping for an AI bubble, a robotics
bubble, a nanotech bubble, a real biotech bubble, and an air/space
travel bubble.  Bubbles are good overall - they are gambling by the rich
and super rich with money spent on engineers and scientists and business
people rather than fluff and vice, so make your contribution here...

> Please please please make it  be that I am wrong, I would like nothing
> better. Im not betting the farm on it though.
I'm working on it, how about you?  ;-)

sdw