[FoRK] Dawkins and Collins NPR interviews on science and religion

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Fri Mar 30 21:24:14 PDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Mar 30, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> > I found it interesting that Collins feels the evidence for
> > evolution is overwhelming, and doesn't think a strict
> > interpretation of genesis is reasonable. At least for me, this was
> > a new position.
>
> Really? Wow, I guess the "theistic evolution" crowd doesn't get much
> airtime.

They keep getting drowned out by Dr Dinosaur, Jesus Camp, Fatwahs,
Biblical Land Deed Issues, Evangelicals Storming of the School Boards,
Papal Decrees, Legislators falling down to pray in protest over stone
replicas of the ten commandments, Presidents of the USA telling the
nation that Jesus wanted him to get the job, Stem Cell Research being
sidetracked over issues of Biblical Interpetation, and a gazzilion
other side show freaks that are claiming, and winning, the spot light.

Yes, this sucks. If you one of the faithful please try hard to winnow
out the wheat from the chaff in your particular denomination cause
after a while  you will either be loosing lots of otherwise faithful
folk form the flock out of disgust or you will become insular
inquisition prone power niches..maybe both.

The so called battle that is being raised now, lest we forget, is in
reaction to the storming of the school's science programs in parts of
Jesusland (sorry can I still call it America?) by bible thumping blow
hards who can not even bother to get their facts straight (yes  I am
talking about Mr Flagella Behee who got his petard handed to him after
it was hung out to flap in the breeze of rational thought [1])

If you do not want crackpots like Behee speaking for you then you
better learn to work the media better than his lot do. Sadly the
squeaky wheel gets the sound byte.

I do not think a Dawkins would be sounding the alarms so loudly if the
crackpots and chaste were not doing the harm they are.

-TomHiggins

[1] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District/4:Whether_ID_Is_Science