[FoRK] Is the singularity now only 13 years distant?

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Sun Apr 1 01:06:51 PDT 2007

    "I do not doubt for a moment change is ever happening and that from a
    point down the road the now will seem flint chip quaint, what I do
    doubt is the turn on and buy in of rational minds that will be needed
    to wield what it is that we are cooking to make this all worth doing,
    that is not making just a slicker more chrome plated version of the
    shit we are wallowing in now.."

    "You can dress us monkeys up pretty but eventually one of us does the
    Pull My Finger gag, starts digging for nits in their neighbors fur or
    flings crap at the monkeys over there becuase they aint of the tribe."

  This invokes for me, the question:

    "What, if done with this technology we are cooking,
     would make it all worth doing?"

  I've recently been looking at this question, with the lens of
  GNOME developer Tristan Van Berkom:

    "Why Computer?"
    http://blogs.gnome.org/view/tvb/2007/03/27/0

  He asks more specifically about Free Software, and more from the angle
  of threat-avoidance than "what would make this worth it?", but the question
  is similar.

  "What would make this all worth it?"

  (I would be very interested in y'alls response to this question,
   whether confidently articulated, or feebly worded, and groping for
   something vague, but intuited.)