[FoRK] No really, Sound-proofing an office [cached, now far too late, oops]

Steve Nordquist <Saigua at sbcglobal.net> on Sun Apr 1 15:59:24 PDT 2007

      Seriously, I think that having a bunch of offset scrims (e.g. glass panels) does a very good job of making an office more private.  The tricks I've heard so far involve finding a scent that's not too cloying to use in lieu of a pressure/smoke test (and 1.4-2 hours to spend kind of getting someone who can, to sniff for gaps,) replacing oddly sensitive sections of glass (...yay customer service) and of course doing something with the underlayment of the floor near the door.  If the floor is speccy enough you can have the concrete scored a ways down and mediate conducted sound there; likely to be a little obvious, but cork and mild roughing-up of the floor works well.  Everyone in planning with a corner has had to do it sometime; last time I saw a worst case was moving all the files over (nearby) and having Secretary Friday provide blackberry semaphores as to who was around to listen and thus when to pause.
      Oh, also checking the overhead situation (e.g. open connected ceilings and no soundproof tiles horizontally or otherwise.)
      Stadiums have those 3'...6'...larger is pricey! baffles overhead to stop reflections.  2' is enough even if you work with unamplified yelling in most cases, and muddying things with spaced baffles is even better.  I do remember a supernatural yeller being borrowed from regulatory staff to speak 'into a recorder' to test things (once she warmed up, observations were of course from the outside with a level meter.)  Sorry I don't remember the woman to cite here, because she was explicit about all this (except the yeller...12min. into notes outside the room, she took her concealed earplugs out!  That was my tell for that one.  Tuned dbA meter in a cellphone shell.)

      Many thanks for making it clear that I will need to wear a katana next time I am in Wisconsin, to make sure that no observer of my work in progress there may live.  I liked the idea of obtaining a 'get out of the doldrums' pass, but I like the added security of having a roster of people reappear in Architectural Digest with explicitly nothing to say about where they used to work.  Of course if I'm slacking I'll hire a planner or legislator with the doldrums pass.
 from orbit
to be sure.
Or I can participate in the wild, unregulated, magnetic and unserviced gas construction businesses.
   Which already has its own spate of 3 movies, if I'm not mistaken.

Here I thought the NZ people were being touchy about blocking migratory animals when building out the spa....

Light fixtures.  blockers.  Wow.  Boilerplate for A&D work always was careful to include the operation of wires (...) etc. etc. to suit the region, but no wonder the smell of crystal meth being made doesn't bat an eye once it's time to file (petition 'for' the opposite of what you intend, etc.) into city ordinance.  The conceit of marketing being able to find local ordinance out once a campaign is committed, indeed.

     I should mention that the anime series 'Honey and Clover' is enjoyable stuff.
It has moral wire and plumbing operation.
Nothing on soundproofing.