[FoRK] It's time for... The US Territory of Mexico

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Apr 16 15:20:26 PDT 2007

Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Stephen D. Williams wrote on 4/16/2007 2:05 PM:
>> Doesn't that seem like the obvious solution to a number of problems?
>> We are already so intertwined population wise, helpless to stop
>> immigration, and their public has to be exasperated by corruption,
>> gangs, and general lack of justice and prosperity.  Heck, with the
>> level of corruption, we could probably exercise a Louisiana Purchase...
>>
>> Statehood would be a ways off, but would make sense eventually.
>
> I know you're being sarcastic, but there are a huge number of people
> trying to make this happen so that business can use cheap Mexican
> labor because the minimum wage is devastating American businesses
> trying to compete with China.
Automate or die, err, change professions.

I started buying good computers two years ago from China, and recently
junk (i.e. not quite fully polished) electronics from China.  For the
price, the semi-polished electronics is amazing.  I think we should be
able to compete more than we try to, but there simply is little or no
interest in manufacturing in most areas of this country.  I think that
will change reasonably soon with automation, but not until except for
specialty items.

It should not be impossible to change this imbalance.  Container
shipping basically makes shipping around the world the same as cross
country.  Why not suggest that Indian tribes or the Federal Gov. create
manufacturing territories where countries could recreate their
microeconomies locally?  In fact, we should have treaties that allow us
to lease area for a town in other countries and do the same thing.  Tie
local currency and prices to the mother country, forcing things to stay
cheap or raise the standards at home.  This would allow integration /
interaction / trading between peoples and expansion of successful models
outside the constrictions (people, land, resources, energy, politics) of
the mother country.

There's all kinds of problems in that idea, but it's a different spin on
globalism that would be cool in practice.  I guess that foreign
investment has this effect to some extent, but it is muted in many ways
and doesn't produce as much reach-back reform as it might.
> We all know that within weeks/months of that happening, 75% of
> Americans would be out of jobs. Go read about the American truckers,
> they are all about to lose their jobs to Mexican drivers (who don't
> have hours/day driving limits, or criminal/drug checks) via treaty.
75% of the nearly non-existent manufacturing you mean?  The manual farm
labor, maid service, landscaping, pickup construction, etc. is already
fulfilled by Mexican (or Vietnamese / other Asian) labor.

> In the end the choice is do we lose our jobs to China/India or to
> Mexico. Keeping our jobs long ago was removed from the options.

We've "lost" plenty of jobs to India and Pakistan already, but they
aren't annexable.