[FoRK] Re: "Thanks for the Facts. Now Sell Them."

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Apr 20 11:58:31 PDT 2007

On 4/20/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Its a nice glowy thought to hold, that the sum of all things is a
> thing itself with "conscience" but we are in no position now to say
> that with a certainty that would border on scientific.

  OK;

  Now **this** is a straw man.

  Straw Man Step I:
    [ X ] Construct an argument that the opponent didn't make.

    Argument:   "My opposition says that the sum of all things
                       is itself a thing itself with consciousness."

> We can guess,
> we can hope or wish, but being as we are observant of only a small
> local section of the verse and those other parts we see we only see
> slices of that out flesh sacks can deal with then frankly I am as wary
> of folks factualizing the "consciences" of the whole myth. Its a great
> myth, do not get me wrong, and it makes as feel all warm and
> encompassed by some all pervasive "force"....but to base anything
> on...I mean you might as well go for the FSM or Great Gigglesnort or
> any of the desert mythos that are so damn popular amongst todays mass
> murderers..

  Straw Man Step II:
    [ X ]  Destroy the argument, with all firepower available.

  What is really amazing, is that I have, repeatedly, vigorously,
  denied exactly what you are claiming I'm saying.

  Here's just one example, pulled quickly:
  "
 The book doesn't say that the universe has an independent
 consciousness-- it says that the universe has become conscious,
 and that scientists (who we presume are telling the story to you)
 are telling its story to you.
  "

  Did you just misunderstand my position, or are you intentionally
  distorting it?