[FoRK] Re: "Thanks for the Facts. Now Sell Them."

Bill Stoddard <bill at wstoddard.com> on Mon Apr 23 10:48:15 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
>  "A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe
>   as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of
>   reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or
>   later, such a religion will emerge." -- Carl Sagan

Very interesting departing quote that kind of supports my few words in
this thread.  From what I've read, Carl Sagan was not a well respected
fellow in the hard science community (and he probably wouldn't have been
welcome on FoRK either), however, he was enormously popular to the
"unwashed masses" :-).  He appealed to our emotions.  Any "science of
being" that does not, at least, pay lip service to human emotional needs
is going to fall largely on deaf ears. And that's reality.

Bill