[FoRK] Radical Longevity

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Apr 25 03:05:06 PDT 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 6:55 PM, Albert S. wrote:

> It seems to me that a big part of the religious value
> proposition is eternal life. If someone knocked on my
> door selling afterlife insurance, I'd politely say no
> thank you. However, imagined or not, believers perhaps
> derive some psychological benefit from thinking that
> some form of life can be expected beyond mortality.
> What substitute does Science have for this?
>
> Medical Science, sanitation engineering and hygiene
> have done much to extend the human life span. Research
> in cancer, calorie restricted diets and anti-oxidants
> show the promise of further extending the average
> human life span. However, even these don't promise to
> extend the maximum human lifespan much beyond 120.
>
> The idea of extending human lifespan by orders of
> magnitude, doubling or more are called "Radical
> Longevity". Could Radical Longevity technologies
> provide a substitute for religious eternal life?
> Or, does it lead to some dystopian nightmare of over
> population by the living dead?

Uploading:  population limits are a function of power and compute
budget.  Assuming superintelligence bootstraps easily from simple
human-equivalency, those aren't huge concerns.  Also offers the
possibility of fault-tolerance and even parallelizability through
replication.  Later on down the line, if you buy e.g. Tipler-esque
cosmological eschatology, a little large-scale engineering may get
you infinite subjective time.

Done...

jb