[FoRK] stolen cashier's check

Corinna <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> on Fri Apr 27 13:24:22 PDT 2007

I had a cashier's check and a photocopy of my driver's license stolen
from a UPS package. The bank put a stop payment on it, but they say they
have to pay it anyway if the depositor's bank insists (and then do an
investigation for fraud if we claim it was fraud).

I have to wait 90 days before I have any hope of seeing that money
again. (Fortunately I had enough money to wire to the title company so I
could still buy my house! Unfortunately, I don't have enough liquid
assets to cover an assurity bond.)

The bank says that nobody has tried to deposit it so far.

I went to the UPS Store I used and talked to the manager, and gave him a
formal description of the incident. I will send a copy to UPS customer
service as well.

What else can I do? Is there any point to filing a police report?

Is it possible that the thief could set up a DBA for the same name as
the title company and then create a business checking account, and then
deposit the check and get away with it?

How likely is it that I'll see that money in 90 days? We will probably
have to live mostly on credit cards until we can rebuild our funds.
Interest charges -- ouch; no furniture, etc for the new house. No
rebuilding the aquaria, no shop tools... *sigh*

Next time I do a long-distance deal, I'll send a wire. I've learned my
lesson. I had no idea a cashier's check was this vulnerable...

I'm so stressed these days, what with all the house hunting, moving
logistics, finishing school, working full time still, hardly seeing my
kids or husband... I'll be so glad when it's done.

-Corinna