[FoRK] Re: Tin-foil hat THIS!

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed May 2 11:02:06 PDT 2007

Clearly, small-minded thinkers.  Human nature is innately all kinds of
things; culture and ideas have the power to redirect these in all kinds
of ways.  Only modern knowledge and full rationality can produce a
stable, optimal mindset.

Embracing, extending, and leveraging is better than controlling,
stifling, and combating.

They should realize that power plays and the pursuit of control over
others are innate evils of human nature also, and likely worse than
selfishness.
> argues that the deepest root of the neoconservative movement is its
> fear that the counterculture would undermine the authority of
> traditional values and moral norms. Because neoconservatives believe
> that human nature is innately selfish, they believe that a society
> with no commonly accepted values based on religion or ancient
> tradition will end up in a war of all against all
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_all_against_all>. They also
> believe that the most important social value is strength, especially
> the strength to control natural impulses. The only alternative, they
> assume, is weakness that will let impulses run riot and lead to social
> chaos.^[12] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocon#_note-8>
>
> According to Peter Steinfels
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Steinfels>, a historian of the
> movement, the neoconservatives' "emphasis on foreign affairs emerged
> after the New Left and the counterculture had dissolved as convincing
> foils for neoconservatism . . . The essential source of their anxiety
> is not military or geopolitical or to be found overseas at all; it is
> domestic and cultural and ideological."^[13]
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocon#_note-9> Neoconservative foreign
> policy parallels their domestic policy. They insist that the U.S.
> military must be strong enough to control the world, or else the world
> will descend into chaos.
>
> Believing that America should "export democracy," that is, spread its
> ideals of government, economics, and culture abroad, they grew to
> reject U.S. reliance on international organizations and treaties to
> accomplish these objectives.
There are better ways to achieve these goals, although it is potentially
good that they have these goals in the first place.

sdw