[FoRK] Re: Tin-foil hat THIS!

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed May 2 13:34:51 PDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Clearly, small-minded thinkers.  Human nature is innately all kinds of
> things; culture and ideas have the power to redirect these in all kinds
> of ways.  Only modern knowledge and full rationality can produce a
> stable, optimal mindset.

  "Sadly," (or wonderfully?,)
  rationality is just as divergent as human nature.

  Rationality is not a "set thing."  There is no one right way to be
  rational.  Rationality is like Democracy in the old quotation:
  "In a Democracy, people pull in all directions."  (Usually a response
  to, "We must all pull together.")

  We argue often like:  "They should be rational, and think X."
  The problem isn't that they're not rational- it's that they're not
  reasoning like we'd like, for the purposes we'd like.

  Logic is purely convergent.  X ergo Y.
  But "reason," if we must personify it (and it seems we must,)
  is both divergent *and* convergent.

  The scientific method**s** (and I must stress the s,) are something
  to hold on to; I strongly agree.

  But we mustn't have delusions that in areas of human behavior
  and interpretation, that there's "one way" that "obviously falls out."

  Reason only operates in response to marching order.
  Those marching orders are our *wants.*
  There's nothing rational about what we want.

  This isn't "crazed spiritualists."
  This is freakin' **David Hume.**

  A study of the X-Men and Antonin Artaud is more telling than
  a study of logical machinery.

  We have to face up to the Chaos of our own soul.
  And I'm using the word Soul rather than "mind," because it
  fesses up to the imaginative and creative messes that we are.
  Mind sounds like a cybernetic plant, and that we are not.

  At least, that's not what I want to be.