[FoRK] Calling [redacted] and all the ships at sea.

Dave Long <dave.long at bluewin.ch> on Thu May 3 10:47:40 PDT 2007

> Makes a nice flag..fly it

Hofstadter's aperiodic crystals indicate that messages need framing for
recognition: deciphering messages requires first spotting them.
Steganography confuses the framing; valid esoteric readings are rare.  I'd
once thought there might be some information carried in the Tao Te Ching
arrangement[0].  But it was just rewritten to make "lucky numbers".
Damn.  Bitless.

Error correction is also problematic: hidden messages corrupt rather
easily, because surface corrections mess them up. (redundancy helps?) The
saying "every jot and tittle" betrays esoteric fussiness[1].  Why worry
about hidden textual meanings if a creator makes physical laws plain?
Why ask for written, not empirical, messages?  Look for semper, ubique.

"Fire burns, here and in Persia" is more than one says for holy books.
(which book, even?)  Still, people enjoy hiding things.  So maybe they
hide messages that gods would leave in sight.  Do angels bother with
hiding content, or is it a folly of mortals?  Adam Smith rewrote Daniel to
invisible *economic* hand.  That hand, having writ[2]...

-Dave

:: :: ::

[0] Some chinese framing is interesting. When using hanzi, patterns line
up.  Someday I'd like to try recomposing the Tao, but explicitly using
grids.

[1] Verse has redundancy over prose.  Meter and rhyme aid error
correction.  (even Homer nods!)  Programmers have other pattern
encodings.  (we check ourselves with test suites)

[2] _Huckleberry Finn_ said not to look for symbolism.  But just like
Homer's structures, searching finds it.  The Dead used to play, so they,
not publishing executives, got paid.  Did buggy whip manufacturers try to
coerce legislative rents, too, once the autos started taking over?