[FoRK] What is Reason?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu May 3 14:37:29 PDT 2007

Just as a small example:

On May 3, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Lion Kimbro wrote:

>  ...where X is something undercutting, that has (or should have)
>     tension and force to it, but that for whatever reason, doesn't
>     cause tension in their minds, or isn't inducing tension in their
>     mind.

Look at how sloppy this is.  What is "undercutting" --- and
undercutting what, exactly?  "Tension" and "force" --- in what
units?  Where are the equations?  (See, this is the kind of New Age-y
bullshit that most rings my bell;  the co-opting of physical,
meaningful terms and concepts for use in concocting serious-sounding
but non-serious discussion.  Go ahead --- say something about
"energy" when you don't mean joules.)

By itself this single instance would be overlooked, but it's epidemic
in your writing --- reducing what appear to be attempts at true
expression to impenetrable psychobabble.

jb