[FoRK] What is Reason?

Elias Sinderson <elias at soe.ucsc.edu> on Thu May 3 19:28:44 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
>  I have a hard time telling, even reading archives, what FoRK culture
>  is like.
Mu.
>  A handful of people are loud, but what I'm hearing now is
>  that the low frequency posters are important to FoRK culture as well,
>  perhaps even majority shareholders.
True.
>  [...] I feel that I should have a visible sponsor, who is a regular
>  here, if I'm to continue writing.
Done.  :)

But, you know, it occurs to me that you've been doing a lot of typing of
late. It may be received somewhat better if you spend an equal amount of
time listening. It's easy to do that face 2 face just by shutting up and
nodding at the appropriate moments; harder to do so in this forum.
Asking insightful questions to let people know you're paying attention
and giving honest consideration to a topic of interest is a sure way to
build bridges and develop a positive reputation. Counter to that,
offering a perspective on the occasional insightful question (without a
book on tape version) will also work wonders.

Both of the above will allow people to gauge where you are coming from
in all sorts of ways; what your bright and blind spots are. Whatever
happens, don't take any of it too seriously (especially yourself).

I assume you have read the FAQ?

Regards,
Elias