The Myth of the Rational Voter was Re: [FoRK] What is Reason?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon May 7 07:27:13 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 12:28 AM, Albert S. wrote:

> I like your exposition on the political implications
> of accusing others of non-reason.

I plugged this book here earlier, pre-publication, just on the basis
of familiarity w/ the author;  I finally received my copy last week
and it's WELL worth the read.

Cf.:

	http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Rational-Voter-Democracies-Policies/dp/
0691129428/

Summary --- the often discussed "dilemma of democracy" is the
question of how a group of mostly-ignorant (on the relevant issues)
voters can, though democratic processes, produce desirable
governmental outcomes.  The usual escape hatch is this:  if you
assume that the choices made by ignorant voters are randomly
distributed, then they will tend to cancel each other out --- and
hence the educated voters, acting rationally, will cast votes that by
comparison have more weight, and the desirable outcome is therefore
assured.

The problem is this:  there's a huge amount of evidence to suggest
that the ignorant voters do not in fact vote randomly.  They appear
to have systematic biases that indeed are "non-rational" --- i.e.
effecting outcomes that are demonstrably not in their own best
interests.

jb sez check it out.

$0.02.

jb