[FoRK] Geospatial

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon May 7 21:40:46 PDT 2007

Interesting coincidence, again.  I just started using Sprint's Family
Locater Service http://sfl.sprint.com over the last 4 days.

I can locate my family's phones with accuracy as good as 10 ft. with a
nice interface that shows uncertainty as a sized perimeter around the
location point.  The standard interface is web-based.  Some phones have
a mobile application, although my phone doesn't yet.  I've verified the
location of my daughter a few times and just tonight she called to tell
me that she had lost her 4 day old phone.  I located it, told her where
to look, and she found it in the grass, at night, within 10 minutes.

The combination of GPS and radio triangulation seems to work really
well.  Everyone knew they'd come out with a service, and we're all dying
to hack our own applications, but it is reasonably cool anyway.

sdw