[FoRK] Lion, rationality, reason, and seriousness

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed May 9 13:12:27 PDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Lion Kimbro wrote:

>  > By this,
>  > one could argue that those who raise reason above
>  > passion are more human.
>
>  If a guys passionate about knowledge, and learning, and in
>  love with learning about the world, and perhaps justifies it as
>  part of the effort to save life on Earth, or ensuring *some* sort
>  of future for life (in whatever form) in our solar system, I can
>  understand that as human.
>
>  But if it's just a person striving to be Spock out of
>  some mad (and I'm arguing that it *is* mad,) obsession with
>  incarnating his anthropomorphized vision of "Rational," I have
>  a harder time calling that "human."  It's clear that people falling
>  into human foibles are human as well, but I don't have to like it..!

Let me get this straight --- you're fine w/ folks being passionate,
as long as what they're passionate about is not rationality, because
that would be irrational?  It's human to be passionate, but only
about the irrational?  It's rational to be passionate, but only if
you're passionately irrational?  Passion and irrationality lead to
human error and thus define humanity, but you don't like that, yet
you insist that everybody strive to save it?  It's okay to love
knowledge, and learning, and so forth --- but only if your intent in
that passion is to save the world?  People who are interested in
reason for reason's sake are "mad" but somehow this totally
impenetrable torrent of syllables embodies sanity?

Huh?

I think you need to roll another jazz cigarette and think about this
some more, Socrates...

jb

PS - you were doing great until this last bit.  Shark jump, ya know?
Gotta watch out for that.