[FoRK] Lion, rationality, reason, and seriousness

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed May 9 14:50:50 PDT 2007

Coincidentally, this has been a very passionate week for me.  ;-)  Man,
keep this up and I'll have a real "world revolves around me" complex.
Oh, I have that already.  ;-)

Passion, and emotion in general, can be seen as probabilistic bias
variables factored into our logical decision making.  Although sometimes
opaque, probabilistic, fuzzy, and slow to retrain, sometimes shallow,
usually parrational, and sometimes irrational or non-rational, passion
and emotion are the result of a parallel system of processing in our
brains.  That doesn't make them useless or always a negative force.

An effective superrational person filters and seeds passion and emotion
to boost logic and logical goals while not falling prey to false
conclusions, bias, and other forms of running off the tracks due to
unfettered and unexamined emotions.  (And one of those logical goals
might be recovery from being too logical for too long...)

Quite a number of people actively resist any suggestion or mechanism
that seeks to explain, channel, or modify their emotional whims.
"That's how I feel." is sufficient explanation and cannot be
questioned.  That the result is poor decision making and / or
expectations is perceived to be someone else's fault.

A superrational who is not passionate or emotional has turned off or
otherwise suppressed and ignored their emotions, like a Vulcan, without
making use of the energy and alternate processing power of their
"limbic" [1] system. [2]

I am passionate about a number of things, yet I work to remain
superrational.  It seems like a harmonious and effective way to
operate.  I can't say that it's likely that people would come to the
more complete version of it randomly, by example, or even by having it
spelled out.

[1] A General Theory of Love
http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=10&tag=sdwst-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

[2] http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/04/irrationality_o.html
> Are our sex drives irrational? Absolutely, yes.
>
> Should we consider sex to be as pernicious and harmful as lotteries?
> No, we should regard it as being beneficial and essential for the
> control/relief of our irrational sex drives.
>
> It is celibacy that should be regarded as pernicious and harmful
> (assuming celibacy is defined to include abstention from
> masturbation). This kind of celibacy allows our irrational sex drives
> to wreak havoc on our mental health, and the concomitant stress and
> frustration can't be good for our cardiovascular health, making
> celibacy akin to having a poor diet or to smoking cigarettes in terms
> of its perniciousness.
>
> Sex drives are irrational; sexual activity protects us from their
> pernicious influence. It is interesting that by surrendering to the
> tyranny of these irrational drives, we can keep their pernicious
> influence at bay.

sdw