[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed May 9 20:14:38 PDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 5:48 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Some Christians, concerned that millions of Americans never cross
> the threshold of a church, want to understand why,

Because we don't want or need to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter
Bunny, or that Big Beard Dude in the Sky.  We think you're all
crazy.  Bug-fuck nutso.  And frankly we find you people creepy.

> as well as learn what it is in evangelistic efforts that turns
> people off.

Uh, perhaps it's the evangelistic efforts.  (Cf. creepy, above.  Also
obnoxious, self-righteous, moronic, condescending, fake,
hypocritical, frightening, dangerous, overbearing, scrotum-
shriveling, and irritating.)  Perhaps it's the lurking fear that
insanity might be catching.

> Some atheists, worried that polls show they are the least accepted
> social group in the country, want to break down stereotypes and
> change people's attitudes.

Then they should stop pulling punches and call it like it is.  Enough
long-overdue ridicule might force some actual examination of the
utterly ridiculous canon of antique superstition and authoritarian
political ideology that you're peddling along with your pot luck
dinners and "church socials" and children's indoctrination camps, um,
I mean "Vacation Bible School."  (What the fuck is that?  Is it
vacation?  Is it school?  If it's school, then it's not much of a
fucking vacation, now is it?  And what's even worse than school to a
kid?  That's right, church!  So this is school *times* church --- in
the middle of a fucking vacation!  Oh, goody, I can't fucking wait!
I'm supposed to be excited about that?  Get the fuck out!  The only
thing I can think of worse than that would be, like, military camp
combined with summer school or something!)

> So both are willing to sit down together in different venues,
> discuss their divergent perspectives, and, in some cases, jointly
> visit church services across the United States.

Yeah, that sounds productive.  I bet you'd love that, wouldn't you.

Tell you what, we'll go to your potluck dinners.  Then we can all go
do some volunteer work together at the local women's clinic, just for
some yucks.

Whaddaya say?

jb