[FoRK] Lion, rationality, reason, and seriousness

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed May 9 22:17:34 PDT 2007

  Passion is a product of evolution.  What I was saying was that if
  you anthropomorphized evolution and then give it a will, and then
  did whatever you thought that that anthropomorphization would have
  you do, then you're following passion, not reason.  (And I think you'd
  agree!)

    /!\ Caution /!\

    /!\ Distinct Lack of Levity Follows! <!>

  <serious overrated="1">

  I think "follow your heart" is the best way to live.  It's not the most
  "rational" way, but then again, I don't think there is, or even *could be,*
  a most rational way of living.  It'd require the ultimate value system,
  and I don't believe that exists either.

  Rationality converges over time given a fixed game with fixed goals--
  Chess, or the study of Nature.  But "reason," (sensible thinking that
  reasonable people you like could go with,) diverges.  (Observe the
  differences here on FoRK!)  It plays in a never-ending, always changing
  game, and has no fixed goal.

  Reason is firm but not inflexible.  And reason can make a total about
  face in light of a new perspective.

  I'm all for rational thinking, understanding bias, putting the damper on
  emotion, and science.  Especially when it comes time for a decision
  that my heart may regret.

  But I'd never say I lived "fully informed rationally," or advise to strive
  to do so.  First, we live for passions and nature, neither of which are
  very rational.  (We can understand the whys of nature, but that doesn't
  mean that it's "rational," or otherwise worthy of our loyalty.)

  Second, the people who believe that they are "fully informed
  rationally" seem to me to be the more dangerous and prone to error.
  I don't believe we can save people from the danger, by trying to join the
  "fully informed rational."  It's way too easy to make an error.  I'm
  not convinced that any human-- no, -- any *mind,* post-singularity
  or pre-, can ever be inerrant.  And all it takes is the slightest little
  mistake, and minds do not operate by forward or reverse chaining
  over perfect axioms and sensations...

  Living by our hearts is dangerous.  I grant that.

  Humanity is a danger to itself.  I grant that.

  But very frankly, I don't see any other way it could be.

  Not without eliminating choice,
  or any of the things that make life worth living.

  I don't want to become a cybernetic plant.

  If I were you, I would advocate:

  * love of knowledge & nature
  * love of people & compassion
  * perpetual self-inquiry
  * the search for what is true
  * survival for the human race (at least!)
  * fun & good times (which make it all worthwhile)

  ... in place of "fully informed rationality,"
  which arguably doesn't even exist.

  </serious>

  Swimming in the over-rated,
    Lion {:)}=

    """
      Honestly, Amber;  I don't see how "fully informed rational"
      someone could possibly be, if they spent even just **five
      minutes** talking "rationality" on this crazy people FoRK
      mailing list..!
    """