[FoRK] Republican Anti-science (funny political cartoon)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu May 10 07:08:12 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 12:50 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> On May 9, 2007, at 10:30 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> Funny, but...  the event depicted did send chills down my spine
>> when I saw it in the actual debate.
>
> Really?  I was relieved it was only three out of the ten.  Or more
> cynically, only three out of the ten were stupid enough to admit it
> publicly.

Well, true that, but it was the whole demeanor of the three ---
coupled with a little bit of context --- that creeped me out.  They
were *eager* to tackle that one, to fly their "Christian Soldier /
Culture Warrior" flag;  proud to beat their chest and proclaim their
animosity for modernity, for science / academia / The Enlightenment,
and for secular life and governance.

Tom Tencredo in particular is scary, scary, scary --- the
Dominionist's Manchurian Candidate;  Brownback's not any better.  I
keep a finger on the pulse of the right-wing radical media on a daily
basis;  anybody who makes Laura Ingraham gush with praise is somebody
who should be kept as far away from the seats of power in our society
as possible.

This culture war thing is real.  They *really* mean it.  They're
devoted to it 24x7.  And the "war" part of it isn't necessarily just
rhetoric.  Between Blackwater, Erik Prince, James Dobson and similar
deep-pocketed figures, the extremely well-funded and well-coordinated
TV and radio spin networks, the radicalization of the GOP, the ultra-
politicization of  the churches, an so on --- a second American "war
of cousins" between secularists and Dominionists is a real
possibility.  Hello, Gilead.

If you think I'm just being alarmist, you haven't been paying enough
attention.

jb