[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu May 10 07:13:00 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Telling believers that they are idiots is not going to work.

Well, I'm not giving up on that just yet.  It's never actually been
tried with conviction and tenacity, as a mass social movement.  So
why not give it a go.  Tough love, and all that.

> Telling them their beliefs cause great suffering in the world is
> not going to work.

Probably true, but shame them enough about their little Invisible
Friend(s) and perhaps a little chink in the memetic armor appears
that can be exploited to drive *this* message home.

> What are you going to place in that empty corner?

I don't care;  perhaps they can get a nice corner-hutch and fill it
with knicknacks and whatnot.

> Whatever it is, it darn well better be transcendent or it will be
> ignored.

"Transcendent."

Mmm hmm.

jb