[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Thu May 10 09:03:25 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 08:15:16AM -0700, Tom Higgins wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
> >Transhumanism.
>
> After a few thousand years of change and the like I find very little
> hope in the fact that becoming an everlasting Transformer is going to

Naw, it's just about playing the game of politics, to get that
shit funded. Instead of spending terabucks on how to best blow
us up to smithereens, one could allocate a few measly gigabucks
to get practical paradise engineering going. Getting rid of death
would be nice first milestone.

> make folks rethink the question of faith. I do believe that we will
> see metastatic shields painted with glowing nanopaints showing the
> Lionmechanoid of God defeating the Dragonbot of the unbeliver.

Oh, if canvass and the palette is bigger, you're going to see some
really interesting paintings.  Just try to not get stuck in a Hieronymus
Bosch one...

> Longevity, plug and play organs, brain dumps and the like...yea it
> would be nice to think becoming other than what we are would force a
> rethink of the whole True Believers issue sadly i think it will only

It's hard to kill someone who has a good HA setup. At least the
homicidal maniac part can be a little more contained that it is
now.

I'd rather have a physical layer that would make recovering
from faults like this more likely

	http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/06/iraq_kurdish_girl_st.html

> be yet another venue for its further propagation/mutation (and yes i
> can think of some pretty fucked up mutations that would be needed to

The world could do without a yet another synthetic cult, agreed.

> incorporate transhumanism into the true belivers framework). Lets meet
> up for a latte in a few hundred years and see if I am wrong.

Assuming, we both arrange to have our heads frozen. Pretty pointless,
with current service quality and geographic availability...