[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue (not here, obviously)

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Thu May 10 11:38:16 PDT 2007

On 5/10/07, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
> It is actually oddly comforting to know that Christians aren't the
> only ones given to excessive hyperbole, demonization of their
> opponents, and denunciation of moderates.

If you get hit by a stick often enough you tend to get so that when
you see a stick coming your way you take due diligence sort of
seriously; else wise its sheep and bah bah time. The True Beleivers,
(remember this includes those who subjugate their will to god, state,
higher power , guru, charismatic, etc) have a duly noted track record
of bashing, killing, harming or at the very least trying to
convert/subvert the unbeliver. It is very hard to take detante
seriously from that stance. When your core beliefs do not call for the
unbliever to be treated as such then maybe a dialog can  be had,

Yea, with a track record and body count like the Christians though is
it really any wonder you would come up against suspicion at the least
and down right anger at worst to the proposal?

And why is it comforting to know that "Christians aren't the only ones
given to excessive hyperbole, demonization of their opponents, and
denunciation of moderates". Does misery love company? Is it ok to be
wrong so long as you can paint others with the same wrong?

Instead of finding comfort  in this I would think you would be finding
ways to amend things better on your end...since the reaction from over
my end at least is in due large part to said track record.

The Sheep Look Up and all that.

-tomhiggins