[FoRK] Republican Anti-science (funny political cartoon)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu May 10 13:09:13 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:08:12AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> If you think I'm just being alarmist, you haven't been paying enough
>> attention.
>
> On the plus side, the U.S. is just a particular compartment, so
> the damage is self-limiting.

*FRANCE* just elected a conservative.  Britain's taken a turn, too.

The rest of the EU is increasingly radicalized in various ways.

The entire Middle East is a religious powder keg, and some bad folks
are getting good training in Iraq and (again in) Afghanistan.

India has the Pakistan problem.  (Well, Pakistan has the Pakistan
problem, and India's got the derivative of that.)

The Pac Rim is infected with the Islam thing, too.

Asia's got its own problems.  South America's got a resurgence of
economic leftism, and rampant, entrenched crime industries.

Russia's gotten scarier again in the last year or several.

China just rolls on, with its weird brand of oligarchic totalitarian
utopianism and hybrid slave-economy.

There aren't any barriers.  It's not compartmentalized.  The global
(political as well as hard) economy is a densely interconnected web.
There's no brakes on the potential damage;  it's a chaotic system in
delicate dynamic equilibrium.

Time to get serious about global and longer-term perspectives.

jb