[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue (not here, obviously)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> on Thu May 10 13:16:58 PDT 2007

Hi Tom,

On May 10, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Tom Higgins wrote:

> The True Beleivers,
> (remember this includes those who subjugate their will to god, state,
> higher power , guru, charismatic, etc) have a duly noted track record
> of bashing, killing, harming or at the very least trying to
> convert/subvert the unbeliver. It is very hard to take detante
> seriously from that stance. When your core beliefs do not call for the
> unbliever to be treated as such then maybe a dialog can  be had,

> Yea, with a track record and body count like the Christians though is
> it really any wonder you would come up against suspicion at the least
> and down right anger at worst to the proposal?

Sure.  What I don't get is why such people are so willing to identify
themselves with atheists, whom last I checked have an equally
horrific body count:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Persecution_of_Christians#Discrimination_and_persecution_in_the_Soviet_U
nion

Perhaps we need a better term, so as not to confuse the good people
of FoRK with those atheists who have perverted a noble secular ideal
into something used to bash, kill, and harm belivers.

> The True Beleivers, (remember this includes those who subjugate
> their will to god, state,
> higher power , guru, charismatic, etc) have a duly noted track record
> of bashing, killing, harming or at the very least trying to
> convert/subvert the unbeliver. It is very hard to take detante
> seriously from that stance. When your core beliefs do not call for the
> unbliever to be treated as such then maybe a dialog can  be had,

I agree wholeheartedly.  Here's to a "New Morality" where the
fundamental principle is that we treat those who disagree with us
with respect.   How about we call it "Loving your Enemies"?

> Work with me here folks, we talk about working towards a humanity that
> can work and play together, so lets do that here. Lead By Example.

Hear, hear.  I'd be willing to set aside time for a round of Internet
Civ. :-)

-- Ernie P.