[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue (not here, obviously)

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Thu May 10 13:55:05 PDT 2007

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On May 10, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Tom Higgins wrote:
>> Yea, with a track record and body count like the Christians though is
>> it really any wonder you would come up against suspicion at the least
>> and down right anger at worst to the proposal?
>>
> Sure.  What I don't get is why such people are so willing to identify
> themselves with atheists, whom last I checked have an equally horrific
> body count:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians#Discrimination_and_persecution_in_the_Soviet_Union
Not this error again.  Atheist means not believing in a god.  Negation
of one group does not imply membership, shared properties, or collusion
of any of those negating.  The Soviet's were also people.
Non-capitalists.  People who didn't speak English.  Muslims persecute
Christians and Jews all the time.  Does that make Muslim == Atheism?
Where will the faulty logic end??

> Perhaps we need a better term, so as not to confuse the good people of
> FoRK with those atheists who have perverted a noble secular ideal into
> something used to bash, kill, and harm belivers.
Soviets Communists persecuted religious people.  That's the better term
you are looking for.  They persecuted people who didn't believe what
they did.  McCarthy did something similar in the US, but luckily people
didn't go along with him as far.

Up to this point, Christians in the US have more in common with the
Soviet Communists than Atheists in the US, since Christians are
constantly excoriating Atheists/atheists in sermons on a weekly basis
while Atheists have mostly, except for a few including a murdered and
robbed leader, been meek, quiet, and polite.