[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue (not here, obviously)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu May 10 13:56:15 PDT 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Here's to a "New Morality" where the fundamental principle is that
> we treat those who disagree with us with respect.

+1.

I'd only add one corollary:  "as long as they're sane."

Sorry, but believing you have an Invisible Friend (or any number of
other nutty beliefs) disqualifies you.  Ridiculous ideas aren't
worthy of respect.  And your particular flavor of nutty belief has a
proven track record of being dangerous and in general bad for
humanity;  and some of your fellow believers (and others that believe
different but similar things) are making things awfully dangerous in
the world today, and in general fucking with my plan to live a
really, really long time.

And that pisses me off.

So no, you don't get treated with respect when you fly your "My
Invisible Friend Loves Everybody, What's Wrong With That" flag.

jb