[FoRK] Christians and atheists start a calmer dialogue (not here, obviously)

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Thu May 10 15:30:46 PDT 2007

n 5/10/07, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:

> Sure.  What I don't get is why such people are so willing to identify
> themselves with atheists, whom last I checked have an equally
> horrific body count:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Persecution_of_Christians#Discrimination_and_persecution_in_the_Soviet_U
> nion

Ok time to call out the Bullshit card.

Here was a quote I dropped in two recent posts to stop just such BS
from filtering in
"(remember this includes those who subjugate their will to god, state,
higher power , guru, charismatic, etc) "

Those were not Atheists in the USSR, those were Soviets, followers of
a state...see my list above. It is a fact that much of the USSR were
actually Christians by choice and Soviets by force. So what you have
there and then was not folks who disbelieved in the hocus pocus of
some higher all powerful authority who controlled their ethics,morals
and daily life...what you had there and then was folks who
belived/were forced to belive in a higher all powerful authority who
controlled their ethics,morals and daily life...the state...

Thus NO SALE on your bashing of atheists.

> Perhaps we need a better term, so as not to confuse the good people
> of FoRK with those atheists who have perverted a noble secular ideal
> into something used to bash, kill, and harm belivers.

Nope, because then you would seek to smear that term.  Also, why just
limit it to exclude bashing, killing and harming "belivers"???? Are
Unbelievers not covered as well? Fraking amazing what comes out of
otherwise rational folks sometimes.

> I agree wholeheartedly.  Here's to a "New Morality" where the
> fundamental principle is that we treat those who disagree with us
> with respect.   How about we call it "Loving your Enemies"?

Too limiting...Love All  (period full stop end of sentence)

> > Work with me here folks, we talk about working towards a humanity that
> > can work and play together, so lets do that here. Lead By Example.
>
> Hear, hear.  I'd be willing to set aside time for a round of Internet
> Civ. :-)

Sweeeeet.