[FoRK] Re: FoRK Digest, Vol 43, Issue 12

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun May 13 15:43:56 PDT 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Sebastian Hassinger wrote:

> I assume that slippage is mainly a problem for testing intraday
> strategies, not systems based on close prices, yes?

No prob, and --- slippage is a factor for strategies where
transaction costs are a significant part of the top-line, i.e. the
net profit margins are narrow.  Intra- vs. interday is sort of
orthogonal to that, but not entirely;  the question is just this:
how sensitive is your strategy to doing trades at the simulated
price?  The more sensitive it is, the more slippage potentially
causes reality and simulation to deviate.  Also, the basic
transaction costs get lumped in with slippage, so per-trade and other
types of brokerage can be a big factor.  It's a pretty common error
to underestimate or completely ignore those in simulating performance.

jb