[FoRK] Zimbabwe: Government schools deserted as 10, 000 teachers go AWOL in second term

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Mon May 21 11:05:37 PDT 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 03:26:22PM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> http://www.zimdaily.com/print.php?a=1675
>
> Hmmmm, with all the smart folks in Iraq and Zimbabwe (and America)
> headed off to Galt's Gulch...

These people are not "headed off to Galt's Gulch", they're fleeing
states that are being run into the ground by insane thugs.

Professionals have the resources to get out, they're not tied to a
family business or plot of land, and they can find jobs relatively
easily.  This is simple survival, and to portray it as some Aynarchist
revolt by the Best and Brightest is to demean it.

> where are they going exactly?

"Most of the teachers who have not reported for duty this term are said
 to have left the country for greener pastures in South Africa, Namibia,
 Botswana, Australia, Canada, USA and UK among other countries."

> We hear nothing but the stories of entire countries losing every last
> intelligent person...

Somalia?  Heck, consider the brain-drains of ancient Greece and Rome.