[FoRK] WTF?

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon May 21 22:20:42 PDT 2007

[Finally back home and with some time to catch up.]

I'll mull the general question, but I have at least one idea that has
been cooking for a few days:

I was just thinking over the weekend, as I read "The God Delusion" -
Richard Dawkins, pretty good btw with cool references, that I am
interested in looking into creating an "Anti-Theocracy" PAC. I live in
the DC area, so it shouldn't be a problem to find and fill out the
paperwork. Does anyone have experience or knowledge before I begin my quest?

I know there are at least a couple PACs and other groups that overlap
this space to some extent[1][2][3][4], but it seems to me that a group
focused directly on anti-theocracy in all forms with immediate
call-on-the-carpet of any bone headed moves or statements might be
fairly beneficial for the rest of this election cycle, narrow enough to
have wide appeal, and not having watered down criticism of theocracy.

Opinions?

National Center for Science Education (NCSE) on Evolution vs.
Creationism http://www.natcenscied.org/
Americans United for Separation of Church and State http://au.org
They have a "Democracy NOT Theocracy" petition now at:
http://www.firstfreedomfirst.org/
Secular Coalition for America http://www.secular.org "First Open
nontheistic member of Congress - Pete Stark..."
Freedom From Religion Foundation http://ffrf.org

> The FFRF maintains a sign in the Wisconsin State Capitol
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_State_Capitol> during the
> winter holiday season
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_holiday_season>, which reads:
>
> “ 	At this season of the Winter Solstice may reason prevail.
>
> There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell.
>
> There is only our natural world.
>
> Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves
> minds.

sdw