[FoRK] Zimbabwe: Government schools deserted as 10, 000 teachers go AWOL in second term

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Tue May 22 10:53:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 12:00:05AM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Aaron Burt wrote on 5/21/2007 11:05 AM:
> >On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 03:26:22PM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> >>http://www.zimdaily.com/print.php?a=1675
> >>
> >>Hmmmm, with all the smart folks in Iraq and Zimbabwe (and America)
> >>headed off to Galt's Gulch...
> >
> >These people are not "headed off to Galt's Gulch", they're fleeing
> >states that are being run into the ground by insane thugs.
>
> Enough about Bush and the red states.

Heh.

> >Professionals have the resources to get out, they're not tied to a
> >family business or plot of land, and they can find jobs relatively
> >easily.  This is simple survival, and to portray it as some Aynarchist
> >revolt by the Best and Brightest is to demean it.
>
> It demeans nothing, it _IS_ a revolt.  Smart folks are bailing out,
> leaving nothing but the soon to be jobless.

Professionals are bailing out because they're about the ONLY ONES WHO
CAN.  Many professionals are also smart folks, but that doesn't
magically turn tragedy into Objectivist Rebellion.

You think it's *good* that folks have to choose between watching their
homeland and family and friends die on TV, or dying alongside them?

> >>where are they going exactly?
> >
> >"Most of the teachers who have not reported for duty this term are said
> > to have left the country for greener pastures in South Africa, Namibia,
> > Botswana, Australia, Canada, USA and UK among other countries."
>
> Australia has no water. The US and UK only let in the uneducated for
> cheap labor, etc. So where do they go after they try those places?

Anywhere safer.

> We're out of places, the last time we had a place to flee the idiots
> was before we wiped out everyone in N.America with smallpox.

We can't flee the idiots.  We ARE the idiots.  We are the religious
minority fleeing persecution and killing all the unbelievers we meet.
We are city folks fleeing to the country with SUVs, twee tchotchke shops
and inflated land values in tow, bitching about bad roads, tractors and
the smell of livestock.  We are puffed-up "knowledge workers", insulated
from the web of social and business relationships that support us, and
we're just gonna leave all those stoopids behind, Real Soon Now.

And don't get me started on us idiot Californians fleeing to Oregon,
  Aaron