[FoRK] The Traveler's Dilemma

venki iyer <venki at computer.org> on Wed May 23 15:27:51 PDT 2007

My opinion of SciAm just went down another notch. I'm not impressed by the
authors either.
What is these backwards-chain-smoking gang thinking? There is NO dilemma
with the travelers - they are not in competition, unless the article
completely botched the description of the problem. The goal is to maximize
each's payout (or even total payout), not to get the bigger payout (of the
two) - there is no "go straight to jail" clause here.

TD gets analogous to PD only when each traveler's goal is to get the bigger
payout of the two, not the biggest payout, period.

End rant. What am I missing?

-V